Construction Apprenticeships. What they are and how to find them.

First of all, what's an Apprenticeship?

Construction Apprenticeships are the best of both worlds when it comes to learning and working (and they’re available to anyone regardless of age!). It’s a type of “education and training” like college or career school but there’s a big difference; you’re paid to learn.

For about 4 years (sometimes less) apprentices will spend about 20% of their time learning their trade in a school environment and the other 80% of their time learning on the job; getting paid by their employer. This leads to a certification, or even a degree, that shows evidence that the apprentice has mastered the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the career they’ve apprenticed in.

Got Questions? We've got answers.

construction apprenticeships

Easy answer. Here's a list of many different Construction Trades that offer Union Apprenticeship Programs.

  • Boilermakers
  • Bricklayers
  • Carpenters
  • Electrical Workers
  • Telecommunications Workers
  • Elevator Constructors
  • Heat & Frost Insulators
  • Ironworkers
  • Laborers
  • Millwrights
  • Operating Engineers
  • Painters & Allied Trades
  • Plasterers
  • Cement Masons
  • Plumbers
  • Pipefitters & Sprinklerfitters
  • Roofers
  • Waterproofers
  • Sheet Metal Workers
  • Teamsters (truck drivers)

* Learn about each of the Construction Apprenticeships and careers listed above by clicking on the link below for “The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Union Trade Apprentice”.

construction apprenticeships united states

Everywhere! But we're talking New England here.

That being said, I’m sharing some good resources at the links below so you know where to find out about the different Construction Apprenticeships, as well as how to make them happen. Click any image below to get more info.

explore the trades

Explore the Trades.

The Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors (PHCC) Association has a state-by-state directory. Head to to this site, choose your state, and then link to the PHCC Chapter in your state to learn more about Apprenticeship opportunities available in your area.

massachusetts building trades council

MA Building Trades Council

Although this is a MA site, don’t ignore it! There’s lots of great info relevant to people from anywhere who are interested in finding out about Apprenticeship opportunities.

becoming a union trades apprentice

The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Union Trades Apprentice

Enough said. And btw, although it states “MA” don’t be fooled. You can get the info, and find the contacts, that can help direct you to wherever you may be looking for an Apprenticeship.

US Department of Labor apprenticeships

US Dept. of Labor (DOL)

The DOL is focused on expanding US Apprenticeships in the US.  Take advantage of that and find out what you can at this site.

State Apprenticeship Agencies

State Apprenticeship Agencies

Head to this link, and then choose your state to find Apprenticeship opportunities in your area.

Career OneStop

US Career OneStop

Search for Apprenticeships via their Apprenticeship Finder.

Want to learn more about careers in construction? How about links to well over 100+ careers in Construction and the Building Trades?

If that’s a yes, then click on the image below to head to our online course “Construction Careers. From Skilled Trades to Engineering (and everything in-between).

Trust me, you’ll learn a lot!

Construction Careers