Associate’s Degree

Topic Progress:

What's an Associate's Degree?

An Associate’s Degree is the result of a 2 year program of study for a “major” that you’re interested in.  Some Associate’s Degree majors require a student to take all academic courses (ie. history, science, English, humanities, etc.), while other majors are “career specific” and require not only taking academic courses, but courses that are hands-on and work-based training.

Why might I want an Associate's Degree?

  • Some careers require it so that’s what you go to school to get.
  • Or maybe you’ll want to continue your education and training at some point and get a higher degree (Bachelor’s or even Master’s).  By getting the Associate’s Degree first you can feel pretty safe knowing that the work you’ve done will be applied to those higher degrees (that’s not always the case with education for certifications).

Where can I get an Associate's Degree?

You can earn an Associate’s Degree at a local Community College or other 2 year college, as well as some 4 year colleges and universities.  Like anything else that you “buy” make sure you do your homework before committing to any school or program of study.

Be sure the school you’re getting your Associate’s degree at is not only affordable for you, but also has a positive reputation for their program, has great internship and work based learning experiences embedded within the program, and a good track record for their students finding jobs in their field of study after they graduate.

Types of College. You should read this...

You may be well aware of the different types of colleges for Associate’s Degrees and if that’s the case you’re all set. BUT, if you’re the least bit unsure just check out the bullets below:

  • Colleges are typically private (more expensive) or public (less expensive).
  • You can receive an Associate’s Degree from Community Colleges and some 4-year colleges and universities.
  • Community Colleges are public and each state has these colleges in various regions throughout the state.
  • City College, Technical College and Junior College are typically also public 2 year colleges, but some may be private so be aware since they’ll likely be more expensive.
  • 4 year colleges are either public (less expensive for residents of that state) or public (more expensive regardless of where you live).
  • Some 4-year colleges and universities offer Associates’ Degrees in addition to higher degrees (like Bachelor’s and Master’s).
  • Many Community Colleges will allow you to easily transfer to a public 4 year college in your state. If that’s something you’re interested in at some point make sure you ask the Community Colleges you’re looking into about that.

So what does all of this mean?

It means that if the career you’re interested in requires an Associate’s Degree, and you’re cost-conscious (who isn’t) then you’ll want to look for Community Colleges or public 4 year colleges in the state that you live in to find the best and most affordable education and training program that works for what you need. Simple 🙂

Up next… hit the “Mark Complete” button below to head to the next Topic… “Bachelor’s Degree & Higher”