Topic

Apprenticeship

Topic Progress:
apprenticeship

Apprenticeships are the best of both worlds when it comes to learning and working (and they’re available to anyone regardless of age!). It’s a type of  education like college or career school but there’s a big difference; you’re paid to learn.

For about 4 years (sometimes less) apprentices will spend 20% of their time learning their trade in a school environment and the other 80% of their time learning on the job; getting paid by their employer. Those 4 years lead to a certification, or even a degree, that shows evidence that the apprentice has mastered the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the career they’ve apprenticed in.

There are 100s of careers to choose from (in lots of different industries) which means there’s something for everyone regardless of their academic grades or career interest.

Apprenticeships are amazing opportunities that give you lots of room for career growth if you choose to go on and get more education and training. You could eventually:

  • Become more specialized in your trade; that typically means more opportunities and more money
  • Move into management or a supervisory position.
  • Start you own business.
  • Become a teacher and share your skills and knowledge with others.
Video Source:  CareersinConstruction.ca

If you’re interested in learning more about Apprenticeships and how to become involved in one, you’ll need to do a little bit of research on line but we’ve got you covered with where to go!

US Department of Labor apprenticeships

US Department of Labor (DOL)

The DOL is focused on expanding US Apprenticeships in the US.  Take advantage of that!

Career OneStop

US Career OneStop

Search for Apprenticeships via the Apprenticeship Finder.

State Apprenticeship Agencies

State Apprenticeship Agencies

Choose your state to find Apprenticeship opportunities in your area.

Careers in Construction Canada

Careers in Construction

Great info on Apprenticeships, as well as data specific to Canada.

Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions? Find answers here.

Click the “Mark Complete” button below to head to the next Topic… “Certification“.