How Your Idea2Career Account Works.
Idea2Career.com Navigation & Features Tutorial for Educators
This educator tutorial isn’t about teaching educators and mentors how to facilitate the Idea2Career course…you’ll find that information within the Idea2Career course’s “Getting Started” lesson.
This tutorial is about showing you how to use Idea2Career the “website” and how to navigate your way around “your account” so you’ll become familiar with the tools and features available to you; because Idea2Career isn’t just a website of “courses” that people take on their own, in a bubble.
Idea2Career, the website, is an online “place”. A place that allows people who are are on the career planning journey, and those people who are mentoring them, to communicate with each other. It’s a place where conversations can be had, valuable information can be shared, and like-minded people can be met.
In a nutshell, some of the things we’ll be going over in this educator tutorial are…
- The menu items. What they are and what they do.
- How to communicate with other members; private messaging, groups and forums
- How to keep track of the students your mentoring through a course so you can track & assess their progress.
Your students also have a similar tutorial available to them which will also help them to learn how to navigate their way around the Idea2Career.com site and their member account. Just as an FYI you can find the link to that Student Tutorial here.
Ok then, let’s get started! Here’s how it works….
GETTING INTO YOUR ACCOUNT
- Your school or organization purchased a specific number of member accounts, or course “seats”, for you and your students.
- Each of you will have received individual emails from idea2career.com that gives you your username and password.
- You can change this password at any time after you 1st log into your account.
- From now on you’ll be identified as a Group Leader which means that you’re the person mentoring your group of students, and you’ll have access to a Dashboard to check in on your student’s progress.
- Your students, or the young people you’re working with, are identified as “students”.
- To log into your account, go to idea2career.com
- Click on the login button.
- Login with the username and password that was given to you in the email you got from Idea2Career.
- You’ll be brought to the home page for logged in users;you’ll notice a menu on the top, and another on the left. We’re going to go over the left side menu first.
LEFT SIDE MENU
Once you click on My Profile you’ll be brought to your profile.
Notice that there’s now another menu in the center of the screen which pretty much has the same menu items as the left menu; you can access those options from either of those menus.
First thing we’ll look at is your profile. You’ll see that there are a few options here.
- View: The View option will show,at the very least, your name. It can also show any information you end up adding about yourself. You can add information by clicking on the Edit option.
- Edit: When you click on Edit a few categories will open up and you can add content within any of those categories. These options are geared toward expanding on a student’s profile,but as a Group Leader you can also add information about yourself.
- When you add content you can also specify the visibility of each of those content items by choosing who can see it:
- Everyone. Open to the public. Even non-members can view the content of that item,
- Only members of the the Idea2Career community can view the item’s content/
- Only your Idea2Career friends can view that item’s content.
- Or just you. Totally private from anyone else.
- Within the Profile tab you can also change your Profile photo and your cover image.
- On the left menu click on My Courses.
- Here are the courses that have been purchased for you to facilitate with your students. You’ll see Idea2Career here.
- As the Group Leader you won’t be going through the course yourself but if you click on the course name you’ll have the same access as your students to everything within the course.
- Each of your classes of students, or GROUPS of students, will have its own private “Group” that’s been created for you all.
- This group is where you can communicate with each other regarding course related information.
- If you’re familiar with Facebook Groups, it’s a similar concept.
- When you Click on the Group name you’ll see some options.
Options such as…
- add a comment or Post, with Post Update,
- see the list of members,
- change the cover photo,
- manage the group,
- and send invitations to other Idea2Career members you might want to add to the group.
We’ll skip over my achievements for now since milestones, badges and rewards haven’t been implemented into Idea2Career yet.
- My Friends is where you can add “friends” within Idea2Career. Again, similar to Facebook.
- Your students aren’t automatically going to be your”friends” in the Idea2Career community, even though they’re within your Group (which is your class)
You’ll have to add your students manually if you want to private message them regarding the course from within the Idea2Career site, but there’s an easy way to do that…
- Head back to the My Groups menu item.
- Click on your Group.
- Click the Add Friend button next to each person you want to add as a Friend.
- They’ll accept when they go into their account, and you’ll now be able to private message each other.
- My Activity is another community and communication feature that’s similar to a Facebook member’s wall or timeline.
- It’s here that you can add a comment by typing what you want and then clicking Post update.
- Your ‘friends’ will see your posts, and you’ll be able to see your friends posts.
- For instance, maybe you want to share a job opportunity you found out about, or something else that might benefit someone in your group of friends.
- My Messages is where you can send, or receive, private messages with your Idea2Career friends.
- It’s a great way to check in with a student, share career specific information with someone, or follow up to give a student a nudge to move them forward with the course.
- We’ll also be disregarding the “My Notifications” menu item for now.
PASSWORD & PRIVACY
- Password & Privacy is where you can update your password and change your privacy settings by clicking on profile visibility.
In the topmost menu are some other menu items. You can…
- Preview other Courses that are available from Idea2Career that you might want your school or organization to purchase for you and your students.
- Choose Members to see a list of everyone who has an Idea2Career account.
- You can View blog posts that are career specific articles.
- Access Help content
- Check out the Forums or Bulletin Boards.
- When you click on Forums you’ll open up that page which is a list of Forums or “bulletin boards”.
- Forums are another great communication tool you can use within the Idea2Career site if you want to.
- If you’re not familiar with Forums they’re just bulletin boards of Topics where people can share topic specific information, and others can respond to those topics.
- Some Forums might be public where anyone who’s a member of Idea2Career can access the information, and some will be private… meaning that only certain people can access the information in that topic.
- Your class, your group, has it’s own private forum.
- This Forum is a place where you, or anyone in your group, can post anything they want to share with your group such as internship opportunities, scholarships you come across, or anything else that might open a conversation with your group of students.
AN ONLINE COMMUNITY AND NETWORK
- So you can see now that Idea2Career isn’t just an online course, it’s an online community and a network of people.
- As a communication tool it will help you to build your mentorship relationship with your students about the course you’re working on together, or anything else related to their career planning experience.
- As an online network you and your students can also meet other people within the Idea2Career network of educators, teens and young adults who have similar career interests and experiences so that members can learn from each other, and also share with each other.LEFT SIDE MENU
DASHBOARD (for Student Progress & Assessment)
As a Group Leader you have the ability to check in on each of your students to check their progress and review any assignments they’ve uploaded. You do this through a page called the Dashboard or “Pro Panel”
When you’re logged into your account, hover over your profile picture to open a window. Click on the Dashboard link to get to your “ProPanel” for reports and data.
The Dashboard doesn’t look like much when you first open it, but you actually have the ability to do a number of things and easily access quite a bit of information about the students you’re mentoring through the course.
First we’ll check out the ProPanel Overview…
- Click on Students
- You’ll then see your Groups (or classes of students).
- Click on List Users to see a list of students in that group.
Click on the Report link to the right of a user’s name…
- Doing that will open up information about that student.
- To the right of the Course name click on Details
- Here you’ll see where the student has progressed to in the course.
- Be sure to click on the left arrows to get a deeper look at the student’s progress.
- At any point you can click on Dashboard at the top left of the screen to return to the ProPanel Dashboard, or another way to get back to the Dashboard is to hover over your profile picture on the top right to open the menu that will bring you back to your profile, as well as other options.
- As a heads up, this is also where you can Log Out of Idea2Career.
Back to the ProPanel Overview….
- You can click on courses to see which courses you’re a Group Leader for.
- You’ll also see Assignments pending and Essays Pending.
- Essays are the answers to essay questions within the course Quizzes.
- Assignments are activities students will be completing and uploading as coursework for the lessons.
- The assignments that your students do and upload as part of the Idea2Career coursework are going to be automatically approved, but you can go in to look at them at any time.
- To check them out click on Assignments Pending
- You’ll be taken to the Assignments Page
- Click on the dropdown for Approval status and choose approved.
- Then click filter.
- You’ll get a list of the assignments that have been uploaded by each student in that group.
- Hover over the assignment you want to review, then click on View.
- It will open a new window where you can click the link for the uploaded assignment.
Again, head back to the Dashboard at any time by hovering over your username and image on the top right of the screen and then clicking the Dashboard link…
- You can also filter information about your group of students to get a more granular look at what’s going on with your group of students.
- Click on ProPanel Filtering
Here’s an example of some data you can get…
- I want to filter by one of my Groups so I click on All Groups next to Filter by.
- Choose the group I want info on.
- Click Filter
- Do that and you’ll get quite a bit of information regarding the progress of your students and your group as a whole.
- You can even download your group’s course activity and Quiz activity as spreadsheets by clicking either of the download links in the ProPanel Activity box.
- To get out of the Dashboard at any point you can hover over your profile picture or username in the top right to open the window, and choose any of the options shown.
- Steer clear of the Edit My Profile link in this dropdown…, there’s nothing there that can’t be done elsewhere in a much easier way.
That’s it…. We’ve pretty much gone over:
- The basics of navigating your way around the Idea2Career site
- What can be done from within your account
- Assessing the progress and work of your students.
You may very well have questions where you need contact with a person to get answers…. Whether it’s in regards to facilitating the course or navigating your way around the site..
Here’s how to get that help….
- You can email via the contact us page and you’ll get a response within 24 hours.
- Just Hover over the help menu item along the top and choose Contact Us.
Best of luck mentoring your students through their career journey! Idea2Career is the tool that can help you tremendously. Enjoy!